An increasing number of employers in consulting or industry consider the master's degree as the entry-level degree. The Ph.D. degree emphasizes advanced study and participation in creative research that is at the leading edge of the field. Our department offers one of the top-ranked Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate programs in the country.
The M.S. degree may be completed with or without a thesis. The M.S. degree requires 32 credit hours of graduate course credit if a thesis is part of the program (with 8 of the 32 hours comprising the thesis), and 36 hours without a thesis. It is possible to complete the M.S. non-thesis degree in one year or less.
The Ph.D. program requires 32 additional hours of coursework beyond the M.S. degree, plus a comprehensive research program and preparation of a dissertation for an additional 32 hours of thesis research credit.
Please see the additional requirements for international applicants.
Graduate Degrees and Interdisciplinary Programs
M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are available in Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering in Civil Engineering. In addition to the department's established interdisclinary programs in Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure Systems, Energy-Water-Environment Sustainability and Societal Risk Management, students can also develop cross-disciplinary programs in consultation with their advisers.
- Energy-Water-Environment Sustainability (interdisciplinary)
- Societal Risk Management
- Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure Systems (interdisciplinary)
- Construction Engineering and Management
- Construction Materials
- Environmental Engineering and Science
- Environmental Hydrology and Hydraulic Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
Special Degree Programs and Options
- Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) Option
- Joint Degree Program with Business Administration (MBA)
- MArch + MS-CEE (structures)
- MArch + MS-CEE (construction management)
More Questions? Check our FAQ.
Check out our list of Frequently Asked Questions about graduate admission to CEE at Illinois.
For further assistance or to arrange a visit, please contact Mickey Peyton at email@example.com.